Large-scale streaming events are one of the best ways to attract attention and reach a broader part of your target audience. High quality streaming equipment will elevate the event to its fullest potential and increase its impact.
At Octo Event Productions, we’re experts in event planning and execution for both in-person and online events, and today we’re explaining what kind of equipment you need for a streaming event.
What equipment do you need for your streaming events?
Streaming equipment can vary greatly depending on the type of event you’re planning. But if you want an event that everyone will remember while capturing a large audience, there’s a series of essential equipment that you’ll need that we explain below.
Computers generally come pretty well equipped, but you need to make sure that the computer has everything you need. As basic streaming equipment, the computer will need to be able to run all the programmes that need to be running at the same time and should be able to do smoothly and without any issues. Here are some of the minimum features your computer needs:
- Have updated software such as Windows 10 64-bit.
- Have a minimum of 4 to 8 gigs of RAM.
- Have a 4- or 8-core processor.
- A powerful graphics card that can easily maintain 60 fps.
Microphones, an essential piece of streaming equipment
There are a wide variety of microphones, another essential piece of equipment required at any streaming event.
The microphone you choose will depend on the space. A small, enclosed room isn’t the same as being outdoors or in a pavilion with high ceilings and lots of people. Therefore, the microphones used should always have the following minimum characteristics to manage a streaming event:
- Directionality. Depending on the location, you’ll have to choose either a bidirectional, omnidirectional or directional microphone. The former picks up sound in two directions, the second in all directions and the latter in only one.
- Sensitivity and SPL. Sensitivity refers to the mic’s ability to pick up sound depending on whether weak or strong sounds reach it. The lower the sound is that it picks up, the higher the sensitivity. SPL, on the other hand, is the power the microphone can reach, that is, the maximum power at which it can be heard.
- Saturation limit. Microphones under high pressure can distort the voice. This will also depend on the material the microphone is made of.
- Maximum sound pressure level. This is the maximum level of sound power that the microphone can handle before it begins to distort.
Professional LED panel
Lighting is a key factor for any kind of activity that involves being in front of a camera. The type of lighting you use can completely change the way the environment looks to the viewers and to yourself.
The LED panel is must-have streaming equipment and offers a huge advantage because panels come in all sizes, making them easily adaptable for any type of venue.
Not only that, but it’s one of the most environmentally friendly lights on the market as well as one of the most affordable.
Video capture, a must-have streaming device
A video capture device collects video signals from an external source and sends them to another device. This is essential if you want a camera signal to be able to stream at the same time as you are using your computer or other electronic device while you are live. In general, video capture devices have four main functions:
- Capture. Both audio and video are extracted in S-Video, RF, either with analogue cable or HDMI or HD-SDI digital video.
- Record. The video is saved in digital format compatible with any computer.
- Stream. Share the live activity with the audience thanks to a specific platform.
- Encode. The recorder takes a recording and converts it to a different format, such as the highly compressed H.264 video codec.
Streaming equipment that will enhance the impact of your event: a visual set or chroma key studio
The chroma key or visual set is what we see as the green screen used in the audiovisual world to replace the area occupied by a colour with a still or moving image. Coupled with good lighting equipment, it is possible to emulate any kind of situation with chroma key, which makes it a streaming equipment that’s always worth considering.
Now that you know the main equipment you need to run a streaming event, the next step is to take action – we hope your event will be a success and don’t hesitate to contact us for anything you might need!